Search This Blog

Friday 27 May 2011

Fulham v Arsenal

before i get onto my report and thoughts, here is Samir's free kick that Schwarzer only just managed to tip round the post...





Sunday I attended my last Fulham game as a season ticket holder. It was the day, as a gooner I had waited literally the entire season for. The home game versus my beloved Arsenal. For me it was important for me to see Arsenal up close and personal, not during their peak, but during their very worst form for years. In my opinion.

And it was fairly evident.....

I wasnt quick to judge as many teams attempt and fail to get any sort of result at Craven Cottage, as Manchester Utd and Chelsea will atestify. And certainly in the past we have laboured at times here...

But even so....

And so from the Hammersmith End, amongst ravenous, cold-blooded fulham fans (who two weeks prior I had seen pretty violently eject a rogue scouser from slighty behind me) I watched with slight nervousness. I had previously discussed the 'what if' scenarios.What if we had to win to ensure the Premier League title. What if it was level and in the 89th minute Robin van Persie had a penalty?? WHAT IF. As it turned out, as a result of the massive balls up since events at Wembley, we did have something on the line. Not what we had hoped, but something just as key; Automatic qualification for the CL. I have to be honest, during the whole game, I had my eye on my phone nearly the whole time, keeping abreast of events at the Reebok.

The return of Thomas Vermaelen for the second successive game was great to see. Indeed half way through the second half, already one down to Steve Sidwell's opener, he made a superb defensive tackle, followed quickly by a goal line clearance from the boot of Andrew Johnson. but as the game progressed the defence looked ragged and it is already patently clear to me that Tommy V and JD do not work together. At least, not in the current shape.





For the first time Arsene played Van Persie and Chamakh together, from the start, two upfront,  which i have to say surprised me. I expected to see Theo off Robin, with Samir and Jacky supporting through a central role. From the off, Chamakh seemed of the pace; a player bereft of confidence. Robin conversely looked his lively self taking the equaliser with aplomb, scoring in his ninth away game in succession

Which, in the clubs' current form is nothing short of remarkable....

It seemed to me, the midfield, particularly Nasri and Ramsey looked a tad lost. Wilshere was his usual pocket rocket self, running his socks off; the provider for Robin and Samirs sojourns forward. Ramsey, however seemed to be floating around with little or no identity. All three at times though seemed obsessed with passing sideways. A symptom of clear Wengeritis.

As I have stated I surprised to see Walcott omitted from the starting line up, especially in the presence of the younger, inexperienced Matthew Briggs at left back; Walcott tearing him up with his electric pace, for the late equaliser.




MOTM:  Bobby Zamora: For his headed goal, his pass that set up Sidwell and his overall contribution to a largely average 90 minutes.

That got me thinking. Me and my friend were discussing the potential impact Zamora and Van Persie would have against Premier League defences, playing on the same team, switching roles during a game. Well it would certainly be more effective than Marouane Chamakh's contributions of late. But I would be tempted to stick with him, like Best? and Beckford?, in certain ways he will improve and learn how to adapt to a pacier game than that of Ligue One.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment